21” (52cms) long. 6”
(15cms) strongly discolored bulb.
Made by the “Vacuum
Glass Company, Lynn, Mass.”
during the first years of the 20th Century. No Regeneration device.
Although advertised as
“having a life more than twice that of the chemical chamber tube”, and
“the older the tube, the better it works”, the target embedded in the
semi-heavy copper anti-cathode has melted and dripped along the side of the
Vacuum nozzle on top
Flat aluminium disc anode
in a secondary chamber
electrical end connections.
Early type rudimentary
metal radiator supporting the anode terminal connection.
“The platinum facing was extremely thin
(0.001 inch) and was welded to a disk of nickel, which in turn was
soldered to a large mass of copper…….. The tube had a definite energy
limitation, and if this were exceeded even for an instant, the thin
facing of platinum was ruined at the focal spot, and the tube had outlived
(Ronald L. Eisenberg, RADIOLOGY, An
Illustrated History, Published by
Mosby Year Book,
St. Louis, 1992, p.124).
intense heat caused by the sudden arrest of the electrons forming the
cathode stream, plus the mechanical shock of the bombardment, a surface
fusion takes place, and the metal is seen to have been heaped up when in
a plastic condition around the point of impact”.
(E.R.Morton, A Text-Book
of Radiology, Henry Kimpton Ed., 1918, p.47)